UNITING CHURCH - MOSS VALE
The first Primitive Methodist services in Moss Vale were held in a private home at Throsby Park (1859) when John Piggott invited the Rev. W. Colley to conduct them.
Rev. Colley came to Australia as an agent of the Primitive Methodist Missionary Society, served in Goulburn (1857 - 60) and after that in Queensland. He was also in demand as a missionary in Sydney and Adelaide. No doubt Mr. Piggott arranged for him to visit Moss Vale when travelling from Goulburn to Sydney.
Many Wesleyan Methodists settled in Moss Vale after 1880, and cottage services were led by local preachers from Bowral until the first Wesleyan church was built in 1888 on a small plot of land on the corner of Argyle and Spring Streets.
This church now forms the centre part of the church hall.
Earlier services were held in a timber church building from 1881. This had been relocated from Bowral, but whether it stood on the present church grounds is not known. The building was later relocated again to Penrose, where it was in use by the local Methodist community by 1892.
Moss Vale was then part of the Bowral Circuit and services were conducted by ministers from Bowral.
The Moss Vale community prospered and by 1912 plans were underway to extend the church. Most of the work was done by the trustees themselves, a new extension on the front commenced in 1913. (This is now the front entrance to the hall.)
A new vestry was added at the back of the church in 1926 (now part of the kitchen).
Moss Vale became the centre of its own Circuit in 1915 (splitting off from Bowrl Circuit) and soon plans were under way to build a new church.
Several sites were suggested, but when the opportunity came in 1935 to purchase the block next door in Argyle Street it was decided to extend on the existing site. Two blocks were added in Spring Street a couple of years later.
A new church building was erected at right angles to, and adjoining the old. This was completed in 1937. Designed by architect A. B. Hoile of Sydney and constructed by E.J. Tonkin, the final cost was £560.18.3.
The original building became the church hall, and for many years a Sunday School. The stone wall around the church was built by Mr. Woodey, a retired stonemason, from stone quarried at Bundanoon. The cost was raised by subscription. On completion the fence was dedicated to the memory of F.L. Toose, Circuit Steward and long time supporter of the church.
In recent years fine stained glass windows and new seats and furnishings have been added to the church.